Messermeister Knives...how do they compare to Wusthof & Henckels
Bob Hayden
2003-12-10 19:29:47 UTC
I'm looking at upgrading my old Chicago Cutlery knives. Of course, Wusty and
Henky are the 2 big names, but I am also hearing good things about
Messermeister. Can anyone provide good info on them and how they compare to
the big 2? Also, any opinions on Chicago Cutlery's line of forged knives? By
the way, I have a Chef's Choice 100 sharpener which I will hopefully use on
the new knives as well.

Any and all advice and info is appreciated.

Bob in RSM, CA
Knox Graham
2003-12-10 23:02:15 UTC
I recently purchased a set of Wusthof Classics....the 8-piece set including
5 knives, steel, shears, and wood block. Paid about $225.00 on eBay. I
REALLY like them!

I looked hard at the Messermeisters, and almost bought them, but there seem
to be fewer dealers who carry them hence the prices are not as competative
as the Wusthof and the Twins.

All three makers have excellent products and you can't make a bad decision
buying any of them, especially the forged vs. stamped vaariety.

Good luck!

Knox G.
Bob in RSM, CA
Tom Xulliton
2003-12-11 06:42:04 UTC
Post by Knox Graham
I looked hard at the Messermeisters, and almost bought them, but there seem
to be fewer dealers who carry them hence the prices are not as competative
as the Wusthof and the Twins.
I don't know where you were shopping but from good mail order or on
line sources the Messermeister Meridian Elite knives are the same or
very slightly less than the Wusthof Trident Classic knives, with the
Henckels just a bit higher than either.
Post by Knox Graham
All three makers have excellent products and you can't make a bad decision
buying any of them, especially the forged vs. stamped vaariety.
Wusthof vs. Messermeister yes. The Henckels are thick and clunky by
comparison and their balance and agility isn't as good.
Steve B
2003-12-11 00:04:42 UTC
Post by Bob Hayden
I'm looking at upgrading my old Chicago Cutlery knives. Of course, Wusty and
Henky are the 2 big names, but I am also hearing good things about
Messermeister. Can anyone provide good info on them and how they compare to
the big 2? Also, any opinions on Chicago Cutlery's line of forged knives? By
the way, I have a Chef's Choice 100 sharpener which I will hopefully use on
the new knives as well.
Any and all advice and info is appreciated.
Bob in RSM, CA
We only have one Messermeister in our block, but it holds its own
against the others. My son, a former chef, has a full set and says they
are great.

Another good brand that is less well known is F. Dick, because they sell
mainly to the food service industries.

All four make quality, German steel knives in several price ranges.
Find the one that fits your needs, your hands and your budget.

Steve
--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
E-mail: steve AT sharpeningmadeeasy DOT com
Tom Xulliton
2003-12-11 06:49:08 UTC
Post by Steve B
Another good brand that is less well known is F. Dick, because they sell
mainly to the food service industries.
These are the knives of choice at many cooking schools, and their steels
are industry favorites because both are a bit harder. This means that
the knives hold an edge better and don't need as much sharpening, and
the steels work a bit faster. The knives are also a bit harder to hand
sharpen but if you're in a school where you send them out, that's not
really a big concern. ;-)

Tom Xulliton
2003-12-11 06:36:01 UTC
Post by Bob Hayden
I'm looking at upgrading my old Chicago Cutlery knives. Of course, Wusty and
Henky are the 2 big names, but I am also hearing good things about
Messermeister. Can anyone provide good info on them and how they compare to
the big 2?
I'm a very serious chef with good knife technique, and did years of
hands on testing and research (real cooking, sharpening, ...) with good
Wusthof, Henckels, Sabatier, Mundail, F. Dick, Chicago Cutlery Classic,
... before mail ordering a couple of the Messermeister (Meridian Elite)
knives to test. The Messermeister knives flat out blew me away, and I
rapidly acquired a complete set. They cut like a dream, I love them,
and every one who has used them since has been impressed by them.

These are rated right after the Globals for sharpness, and since I hate
the metal handles on the Globals (they just don't work well with my over
sized paws), the choice was clear. The blades are a modern hybrid of
the French and German styles. The reduced bolster lets you choke up and
pinch the blade as in French technique for better fine control, but they
also have enough curvature to rock well for German technique. They are
just a joy to work with. I simply can't say enough good things about
them.
Post by Bob Hayden
I have a Chef's Choice 100 sharpener which I will hopefully use on
the new knives as well.
Don't even *THINK* about it with the Messermeister knives. You'll wreck
the existing edge. They start with a somewhat more acute grind than the
others, and then polish it. You're only supposed to use a fine cut or
slick steel. I've been steeling only when needed, and rare touch ups
with a good set of ceramic rods and that has kept them shaving sharp.
They've really required minimal maintenance.

Best of all the prices are comparable to the best Wusthofs and even a
shade lower than the Henckels. You can find these at "Professional
Cutlery Direct" (aka P.C.D.) and "Sur la Table" among other places.
Chris Reeves Knives (maker of the famous Sebenza) even endorses and
sells them...

http://www.cutlery.com/t3/t11t22t39.shtml

http://www.surlatable.com/common/google/search.cfm?query=Messermeister

http://www.chrisreeve.com/messermeister.html